Garlic Scape Pesto
Garlic scape pesto is made almost like a classic basil pesto with olive oil, parmesan cheese and nuts. Here we use sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts, which are a fraction of the cost, and just as good. A food processor is key to making the recipe, and adding the ingredients in order is another key.
- 1 cup garlic scapes sliced crosswise (about 10 to 12 scapes)
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Place the garlic scapes in a food processor and pulse for 30 seconds.
- Add the sunflower seeds and pulse for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the olive oil and process on high for 15 seconds.
- Add the Parmesan cheese and pulse until the ingredients are combined.
- Add the basil and lemon juice, and process until reaching the desired consistency.
- Add salt to taste and serve immediately.
This pesto freezes well.
Comments are closed