Gluten Free Pizza Crust
From The Healthy Gluten-Free LIfe by Tammy Credicott.
For the Yeast:
- 1 Tablespoon raw, organic honey
- 1 1/2 Cups warm water 100 to 115 degrees F.
- 1 Tablespoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 Cup amaranth flour
- 1/2 Cup sorghum flour
- 1 1/2 Cups potato starch
- 1 Cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt
- 1 Tablespoon xanthan gum rounded
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon raw apple cider vinegar
- Organic palm shortening for greasing the pizza pan
- Brown rice flour for dusting the pan and dough
- In a small bowl, stir honey into warm water. Add yeast and stir gently. Set aside for 5 minutes to start foaming (this way you know it's working!)
- In a stand mixer bowl, combine dry ingredients. Add olive oil, vinegar, and yeast mixture.
- Blend on low until a soft ball forms. Dough will be very soft. Grease two 12-inch pizza pans with shortening. Place half of the dough on each pan.
- Liberally dust dough with rice flour. With quick pats, press the dough into the pan, flattening into a circle. Continue to dust dough as needed to prevent sticking. But don't go too crazy, you don't want the dough to become grainy.
- Preheat oven to 425º F. Bake crust for 12-15 minutes, until it begins to brown on the bottom, rotating trays halfway through.
- Remove from oven and top with your favorite sauce and toppings. Place back in the oven, turn heat up to 450 degrees F, and bake for about 15 minutes (rotate again part way through), until sauce is bubbly and edges are browned. If desired, brush olive oil on edges of crust for flavor and to soften a bit.
- Cool slightly, cut into slices, and enjoy!
Options: ~After baking crust initially, place on cooling rack to cool completely. Wrap each in plastic wrap and place in a freezer bag. Freeze until needed. To use, simply thaw crust on the counter and proceed with step 7 above. ~For focaccia bread: When pressing dough in step 5 above, leave dough a little bit thicker. Bake as in step 6. Remove from oven, brush generously with olive oil. Top with favorite seasonings such as Italian herbs, garlic, and sun dried tomatoes. Bake in a 425º F oven for about 10 minutes until hot and browned slightly on the edges.
Comments are closed